Eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty, is a surgical procedure designed to improve the appearance of the eyelids. Surgery can be performed on either the upper or lower eyelids, or both. Whether a patient wants to improve their appearance or are experiencing functional problems with the eyelids, eyelid surgery can rejuvenate the function and appearance of the area surrounding the eyes. The appearance of a drooping upper lid may also be due to relaxation of the forehead skin and eyebrow. Sometimes a drooping eyelid is caused by stretching of one of the upper eyelid muscles, the levator muscle and the drooping eyelid is known as blepharoptosis. During a comprehensive consultation, Dr. Calloway will thoroughly evaluate the patient’s anatomy to determine the causes of the undesired eyelid appearance, and which procedures will best remedy them.
Specifically, eyelid surgery can treat:
- – Loose or sagging skin that creates folds or disturbs the natural contour of the upper eyelid, sometimes impairing vision
- – Drooping of the eyelid(s) known as blepharoptosis.
- – Excess fatty deposits that appear as puffiness in the eyelids
- – Bags under the eyes
- – Drooping lower eyelids that reveal white below the iris
- – Excess skin and fine wrinkles of the lower eyelid
Dr. Calloway is an experienced Oculoplastic Surgeon with special training and expertise in eyelid surgery. He has been performing specialized eyelid procedures including cosmetic and complex reconstructive procedures for over 25 years. During his years as a Plastic Surgeon at Mayo Clinic, he helped develop and refine laser assisted eyelid surgeries allowing less invasive treatments of the eyelids. During his tenure, Dr. Calloway has also helped train hundreds of physicians and surgeons from around the world in these more sophisticated eyelid procedures. While at Mayo Clinic, Dr. Calloway helped introduce minimally invasive technologies to the international community and has been a featured speaker and educator at many international Medical Conferences. As every patient presents with specific and unique aspects of eyelid aging and pathology, Dr. Calloway recognizes that every procedure needs to be tailored and customized to the individual. Consequently, eyelid surgery represents many surgical techniques that are blended and adapted to each specific patient to achieve the desired natural rejuvenation of the eyelids.
Advantages of the laser assisted blepharoplasty compared to traditional eyelid surgery:
- – Laser blepharoplasty uses invisible hidden incisions and avoids the traditional scar placed on the eyelid which is associated with traditional eyelid surgery
- – Minimally invasive laser techniques allow for more rapid recovery and less potential complications
- – Minimally invasive laser techniques allow more rapid return to normal activities.
- – Less discomfort is associated with minimally invasive laser eyelid techniques.
- – The minimally invasive laser assisted blepharoplasty procedure does not require general anesthesia.
- – Compared to traditional eyelid surgery, minimally invasive laser eyelid surgery avoids potential side effects of eyelid surgery such as eyelid malposition or asymmetry.
The cost of the surgery will vary depending on the procedures utilized. The surgery is performed under local anesthesia with mild sedation or under general anesthesia in our Accredited Outpatient Surgical Facility. The usual recovery is approximately 3-5 days before the microscopic sutures are removed. Exercise regimens are usually resumed in 1-2 weeks. The results are immediately visible and often relatively permanent in longevity.*
*Results may vary.